Gifted Class Benefits in Palm Beach Schools Gifted Program
The gifted class benefits of Palm Beach Schools gifted program classes include an individual plan for your child. This is called an EP or educational plan that specifies gifted education goals for your child to work on during the school year. The EP is reviewed and revised at least once a year.
Children who are academically gifted and talented display many of the following characteristics:
- Develops broad knowledge and experiences.
- Acquires, retains and uses large amounts of information.
- Wants to learn, explore and seek more information.
- Relates one idea to another.
- Completes assigned tasks quickly.
- Uses reading skills to obtain new information.
- Sees relationships easily.
- Makes sound judgments.
- Expresses ideas and feelings well.
- Has a fascination with words and ideas.
Research on gifted education indicates the following:
- Gifted students benefit from learning together and should be placed with similar students in their areas of strength.
- It has been extremely difficult for regular education teachers to differentiate curriculum to meet the needs of gifted students in mixed ability classrooms.
- Many gifted students think and learn differently from their chronological age mates who are not gifted. They tend to better understand, accept, and use their learning differences as assets when they are grouped together. When they are provided with consistent appropriate academic challenge, they tend to be more comfortable with themselves (and others).
- When cooperative learning has been used in the regular education classroom, gifted students often become tutors and learn less academic content. The other students may depend on them to do most of the work, or do the work that is difficult, and therefore the regular education students also learn less academic content.
- Gifted students frequently know many of the concepts introduced in the regular education class and waste a lot of time. They often develop bad habits, such as constant daydreaming.
- Gifted students are more likely to socialize “normally” when they are with students who share their interests and learning style. This is most likely to occur with intellectual age mates, regardless of chronological age.
Palm Beach Gifted Class Mission
According to the Palm Beach Schools gifted web page, their mission is: “The Gifted Education Program provides appropriate instruction for eligible students by delivering effective and innovative strategies beyond the basic curriculum. The program is designed to challenge and empower students to produce quality work and to become productive citizens while protecting and nurturing their unique characteristics.” My daughter went through the gifted classes and had outstanding teachers at Lighthouse Elementary, Beacon Cove Intermediate, and Jupiter Middle School. I believe it was a benefit that she moved through these classes in a cohort of gifted peers. Each year parents are given the option to continue their child in the gifted program or move them to general education classes. Since it was the right fit for her my daughter stayed in the gifted classes.
When your child is enrolled and attending school, the Palm Beach School System will test your child for the gifted classes if the teacher recommends it. However, it takes them quite a while to do testing. That’s why most parents prefer to have private gifted testing. I believe private gifted testing is preferred for several reasons. First, you accompany your child to the gifted testing session. While you are not present in the room while the testing takes place, your child knows you are close by. They are less nervous. Second, you choose the time for the gifted testing. Most parents choose the morning hours. The public school gifted testing takes place at any time during the day so it may not be the optimal time for your child. They could be pulled from recess, art, or even an academic area and then worry about what they are missing. Third, private gifted class testing is typically a quieter and calmer setting. Public school gifted testing could be in room with lots of noises just outside the door. Most public school psychologists don’t have their own office and are placed in a conference room or even a tiny closet like space. This can make your child feel uncomfortable.
Gifted Class Benefits Palm Beach Schools
In summary, testing for a gifted program allows you to understand your educational options. Contact us if you have any questions about gifted class benefits Palm Beach Schools or would like to schedule gifted testing.