What is a Gifted IQ?
In most schools the gifted class IQ requirement is an IQ score of 130 or higher on an individually administered IQ test. This means your child scored at or above 98 out of 100 same age students. The Palm Beach School District’s gifted testing only requires IQ testing from a psychologist.
If your child’s IQ is 130 or above, you submit the written report to the public school. You’re your child’s current teacher must complete a gifted characteristics checklist and endorse more than half of the characteristics as applicable to your child. Gifted testing takes about one hour and your receive results the same day in summary form. We also offer a 20 minute gifted screening IQ test that gives an estimated IQ and lets us know if your child is close to the 130 mark. If he or she is close enough then we recommend full gifted testing.
All clients testing with us receive a free video tour of the office. The video tour allows your child to see where he or she will be working and this helps put kids at ease. When kids know where they are going it helps reduce anxiety. In addition, you tell your child he or she will be doing activities rather than testing.
Gifted and talented developmental researchers offer the following tips to encourage both achievement and happiness for smart children.
- Expose children to diverse experiences.
- When a child exhibits strong interests or talents, provide opportunities to develop them.
- Support both intellectual and emotional needs.
- Help children to develop a ‘growth mindset’ by praising effort, not ability.
- Encourage children to take intellectual risks and to be open to failures that help them learn.
- Work with teachers to meet your child’s needs. Smart students often need more-challenging material, extra support or the freedom to learn at their own pace.
The Palm Beach Schools offers a ‘Plan B’ for some students. A student who is low socio-economic and that qualify for free or reduced lunch or defined as English Language Learners (ELL) can get into a gifted program with a score lower than 130. To read more about this option read this entry.
To schedule or inquire call 561-625-4125