Gifted Class Benefits and Resources
There are benefits of being in a gifted or enriched class or school. In our area, two main schools for a gifted child are the Weiss School and the Greene School. Both offer an outstanding education that caters to the whole child. What I mean by this is that the Weiss School and the Greene School both include enrichment beyond academics. They help the gifted child by including music, the arts, technology, social-emotional, personal growth development and other areas that gifted kids need. On the other hand, the public school gifted classes only provide gifted/enriched academics. We test children for gifted classes using an individually administered IQ test. You receive results the same day in summary form and a full report is ready a day later.
Unlike some providers, we don’t charge extra for Saturday testing. Ready to schedule? Call (561) 625-4125.
Gifted Child Benefits
Camilla Benbow and other talent-development researchers offer the following tips to encourage both achievement and happiness for smart children.
- Expose children to diverse experiences.
- When a child exhibits strong interests or talents, provide opportunities to develop them.
- Support both intellectual and emotional needs.
- Help children to develop a ‘growth mindset’ by praising effort, not ability.
- Encourage children to take intellectual risks and to be open to failures that help them learn.
- Beware of labels: being identified as gifted can be an emotional burden.
- Work with teachers to meet your child’s needs. Smart students often need more-challenging material, extra support or the freedom to learn at their own pace.
Gifted Child Parent Resources
Resources for parents include the following websites.